2-1-1 San Diego-find your volunteer home
San Diego has it's own 9-1-1. Yes! You read that right! Alana Kalinowski will give us an idea on what it does and how it is a big help. You can listen to the show at http://rockyourretirement.libsyn.com/211-san-diego-find-your-volunteer-home
2-1-1 San Diego's mission is to help people by connecting them to services and provide vital data and trend information for proactive community planning.
Alana Kalinowski manages the Community Outreach Program at 2-1-1 San Diego. 2-1-1 San Diego is a resource and information hub that connects people with community, health and disaster services through a free, 24/7 service. This service includes stigma-free confidential phone service, and it also includes a searchable on line database. It's also important to note that 2-1-1 serves the entire population of the County.
2-1-1 San Diego has a staff of 150 people who take about 1200 calls per day.
They have approximately 1,500 organizations in their database that they can refer people to. The majority of their referral sources are non-profit and government agencies. Their vetting process includes; checking licenses, certificates, and making sure they provide the services they say they provide.
98 % of the US is under 2-1-1 jurisdiction however, the programs can vary drastically in each state.
Just some of the referral services that 2-1-1 San Diego offers are:
- Cool Zones-residents can use the Cool Zones to escape the heat and reduce their own air conditioning use.
- It provides locations on where you can your taxes filed for free.
- 2-1-1 provides locations for flu shots.
- It also provides locations for free blood pressure checks.
- Fix-It Service -provides volunteers to help with minor home modifications or repairs.
- 2-1-1 provides Courage to Call-which is a veteran staffed helpline dedicated to assisting active duty military personnel, veterans, and their families.
- They have a seat at the counties information center and get real time information during a disaster to provide non-emergency resources.
- Health Navigation Program- this is a program that serves as a single access point information and referral system for San Diego County, connecting anyone to available health services.
For more information Call 2-1-1 or go to their website at: http://211sandiego.org/new/
To get today's FREEBIE, “How Retirees can use 211 to find a place to volunteer” go to: www.RockYourRetirement.com/volunteer211
Click the link below if you would like to download a copy of the 2-1-1 Disaster Response Checklist. Alana thought this would be a good tool for people to have.