Bird watching in Retirement? Henry interviews Philip Jackson about Bird Watching in Retirement.
Phillip is an avid bird watcher (also known as “twitcher” in Australia). He planned to pursue that interest when he retired from teaching.
Phillip has actually retired twice. Henry said he liked it so much he had to do it again. Listen to the episode to find out how.
Henry talked with him about how he managed his two retirements, how he supplements his income, and why he supplements his income now he has left full time work.
But what Phillip really likes to do is bird watching in retirement. Henry and Phillip talked about it and they discussed his retirement lifestyle:
- Anyone can enjoy bird watching. Novices can enjoy it as much as experienced people.
- It is truly an activity for all ages, sexes and variety of people. It doesn't matter if you are athletic, male or female. The birds are there for everyone to enjoy.
- Philip introduced us to the resources he uses to locate specific species, and the cataloging which he enjoys. Of course cataloging is not mandatory to the hobby.
- Bird watching is compatible with a great number of other activities which birders often run simultaneously. For example, camping and photography are the two obvious ones, but some people come to the hobby from simply keeping a couple of pet budgies (parakeets) and developing the interest from there. Some people start simply by gazing out their window at their bird feeder.
Philip recommended a book for people interested in Australian history, but he couldn't quite remember the title. Henry found it: ‘Lost Relations: Fortunes Of My Family In Australia's Golden Age' by Graeme Hewett, published by Allen & Unwin.
Other Books that were mentioned in the interview include:
- ‘The Field Guide to the Birds of Australia' by Graeme Pizzey and Frank Knight
- ‘Field Guide to Australian Birds' by Michael Morecombe
Special Thanks to:
- Angie Strehlow who helps us get great guests that help us with our retirement lifestyle while keeping everything on track
- Les Briney who edits the show and makes my guests and me sound terrific
- Lesinda Tubalado who helps keep the website up to date
- Henry Shapiro, host of Retired Excited that airs on Fridays
- YOU the listener for sharing on social media, and telling your friends about it
Kathe Kline has been working with retirees for over 25 years. She discovered that retirement is not just about money and insurance, but is also about: Social & Family; Adventure & Travel; Volunteer & Philanthropy; Spirit & Soul, Sexual issues, and Sandwich Generation issues or helping your Family members as they age
This site will host the podcast interviews that we will do with people who are Rocking their own Retirement, or who provide services to you so that you can Rock Your Retirement!