John Brocato will talk to us about traveling solo.
John had the fortune (or misfortune) of growing up a Kansas City Royals fan living in St. Louis Cardinals territory. John’s two primary hobbies are baseball and travel. He decided to write a book about his adventures which is called Road Trips, Routes, and Royals.
John is the first to admit that he is difficult to travel with. He likes to go “off the beaten path”. This is one of the reasons he began traveling solo. John has some fascinating stories to tell about his travels and he gives a TON of great information in this episode.
John mostly travels to see baseball games, and works other travel around those games. He also likes to visit Presidential Libraries. There are still three he needs to visit.
Here are some of the tips John talks about in his interview for traveling solo and “on the cheap!”
- Start close to home to build your confidence
- Be loyal to certain hotel chains which will allow you to get points or rewards for discounted prices or even free nights
- Strike up conversations and talk with other travelers to get their recommendations for attractions or places to eat
- Know what you absolutely have to include on your trip first BUT also allow for spontaneous excursions
- Limit your driving to no more than 300 to 400 miles per day
John also talks about being a member of Rewards Network who is partnered with a number of different reward programs. You can earn hotels points, frequent flyer miles or other various incentive programs. He also uses the program to find obscure restaurants in various cities he visits.
If you would like to contact John check out his Facebook page where he posts his travel pictures!
John's Book: Road Trips, Routes, and Royals
Do you like to travel solo or have some tips for our listeners and readers? Let us know in the comments below!
Special Thanks to:
- Angie Strehlow who helps us get great guests that help us with our retirement lifestyle while keeping everything on track…and helps with these show notes!
- Les Briney, my husband, and Danny Ozment of Emerald City Pro who edits the show and makes my guests and me sound terrific
- Henry Shapiro, host of Retired Excited that airs on Fridays
- YOU for telling your friends about the show, leaving comments below, and sharing episodes you really like on Facebook, and reviewing the show on iTunes
This post about retirement and Retirement Lifestyle first appeared on http://RockYourRetirement.com
Kathe Kline has been working with retirees for over 25 years. She discovered that retirement is not just about money and insurance, but is also about: Social & Family; Adventure & Travel; Volunteer & Philanthropy; Spirit & Soul, Sexual issues, and Sandwich Generation issues or helping your Family members as they age
This site will host the podcast interviews that we will do with people who are Rocking their own Retirement, or who provide services to you so that you can Rock Your Retirement!