Scammers are everywhere.
Here's Curtis Bailey in our today's episode to discuss how we can deal with them. My interview with him was jam-packed with information, but here are a few things we discussed:
Preventing SCAMMERS from Scamming your loved ones
- Seniors need to have a team of professionals.
- Don’t let someone cut you out of your social circles because this is a common practice of scammers.
- Be sure and talk to your family members because they can help you determine if something is a scam.
- Scammers use emotions to scam people who are lonely. They also prey on fear, so let your rational side tell you what is happening.
Is someone overly nice and charming? Scammers can spend HOURS talking to seniors.
- Don't keep secrets because scammers often ask their victims to keep secrets.
- They may ask you to receive money from people you don’t know because then they'll have your banking information.
- We can protect our assets with a living trust, but the living trust can also be revocable.
You can create a Power of Attorney with scams in mind.
- Every year you can get a free credit report with each of the three credit rating agencies at http://AnnualCreditReport.com so you can see if your credit is being used by someone else.
- Allow family members to receive notifications if anything strange starts happening with your finances so that they can help you spot a scammer.
Mr. Bailey practices estate planning and elder law at Huffman Law Offices, PC, and he is a member of Missouri Bar Association and the Illinois Bar Association. Curtis is also a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and not only that, but he is also a member of the Advisory Council of the Area Agency on Aging of Southwestern Illinois. He is very active in his community and is a member of his Chamber of Commerce and Rotary International.
Curtis is the co-founder of Senior Scam Action Associates. They help people recognize, prevent, and recover from scams.
Email: [email protected]
For today’s freebie, the 10 dead giveaways of a scam, go to http://RockYourRetirement.com/scam
This post on Retirement Lifestyle first appeared on http://RockYourRetirement.com.
Kathe Kline has been working with retirees for over 25 years. She discovered that retirement is not just about money and insurance, but is also about: Social & Family; Adventure & Travel; Volunteer & Philanthropy; Spirit & Soul, Sexual issues, and Sandwich Generation issues or helping your Family members as they age
This site will host the podcast interviews that we will do with people who are Rocking their own Retirement, or who provide services to you so that you can Rock Your Retirement!