What is responsible travel?
I spoke with Tammie Ferguson who owns Love in Action Travel. Don't you just love that name? Tammie talks about socially responsible travel. Tammie created Love in Action travel for people who want to combine their love of travel with their passion for serving others and making a positive difference.
We spent a good amount of time talking about “Voluntourism” Trips. They plan itineraries to different countries such as Guatemala, Haiti, and Puerto Rico. People can sign up and join on the trip. These are 9-10 day itineraries with 5 days of that being spent building a home.
Some of the projects they work on are:
- Habitat for Humanity global village home builds
- Serving orphanages
- Creating Healthy Home kits, including smokeless stoves and water filters
Why Responsible Travel?
- Great opportunity to meet new people
- Explore a different country
- Learn a new skill
- Give back
Although prices vary and can change, Tammie has a trip planned to Guatemala in June and the (2017) fee is $1,870. The trip fee includes meals, lodging, any cultural activities, ground transportation, the community service project that you will be involved in, and even travel medical insurance. You pay for the flight, money for souvenirs if you want any, and bring extra for that massage after all your hard work!
Tammie also talks about the other trips she plans which include Agritourism Experiences, Cultural Tours, and Fathom Cruises
Today's Freebie, 5 Ways Impact Travel Helps You Rock Retirement, can be found at http://RockYourRetirement.com/Impact
Contact information for Tammie
If you would like to learn more about Habitat for Humanity go to https://www.habitat.org/
Special Thanks to:
- Angie Strehlow who helps us get great guests that help us with our retirement lifestyle while keeping everything on track…and helps with these show notes!
- Les Briney, my husband, and Danny Ozment of Emerald City Pro who edits the show and makes my guests and me sound terrific
- YOU for telling your friends about the show, leaving comments below, and sharing episodes you really like on Facebook, and reviewing the show on iTunes
Kathe Kline has been working with retirees for over 25 years. She discovered that retirement is not just about money and insurance, but is also about: Social & Family; Adventure & Travel; Volunteer & Philanthropy; Spirit & Soul, Sexual issues, and Sandwich Generation issues or helping your Family members as they age
This site will host the podcast interviews that we will do with people who are Rocking their own Retirement, or who provide services to you so that you can Rock Your Retirement!